Selling any product or service starts with awareness. Prospects have to know about a product before they’ll buy. They also want to feel good about the company behind it. The fact is, though, that many business people overlook the importance of awareness. They want to jump right into selling something. Sadly, lack of awareness hurts sales.
How do you create awareness? You need to be visible. Here are some tools that can help you:
- WEBSITE/SEO Most companies have figured out they need a website. However, putting up a site isn't enough. Your site needs to be found by the right people. The way to be found is by identifying the right keywords and optimizing your site for them.
- SOCIAL MEDIA Being active and engaging on digital channels is essential. Find out which ones your audience uses and how. Then develop a plan for how you'll use the vehicles to reach the right folks with the right messages.
- EMAIL This is a great way to get to your prospect's in-box. Success depends on a great list and compelling message.
- ADVERTISING This can be an effective and cost-efficient way to create awareness if you have a broad audience. Of course, that audience needs to be reachable through online, broadcast or other avenues.
- PUBLIC RELATIONS News releases, features and case histories can get the word out about your product and company. This can be a slow way to build awareness, but the cost is less than advertising.
- TRADE SHOWS/CONFERENCES/EVENTS These are almost like a retail environment. Attendees come to learn about new things, “kick the tires”, and be entertained. It's a chance to add flash and sizzle to your presence. Make it fun. Make it memorable, too.
A combination of all the above will increase your profile in the market. Be sure to repeat, Repeat, REPEAT your message over time so it sinks in. Get known!